Thursday, July 29, 2010

Lest I get so far behind that I can't catch up, here's a shorter account of the footy game two Sundays ago and our drive to the Great Ocean Road last Saturday!

The Australian Rules Football game was at the Melbourne Cricket Grounds (which I toured while at Melbourne Welcome). The Richmond Tigers were hosting the North Melbourne Kangaroos, and naturally I had to barrack for (Aussie term for 'root for') the 'Roos, since I live in North Melbourne!

And wouldn't you know it, they won 103-53. The rain was just pouring by the end of the match, though I don't think they do any sort of rain delays here. There were also tons and TONS of seagulls roaming the stands. One section down near the field that was mostly emptied thanks to the rain was completely taken over, and they were constantly occupying unpeopled sections of the field.

Kinda ridiculous.

The rest of the week was mostly going to advising meetings and hanging out, and then on Saturday we got up early, piled into three rented cars, and headed off to the Great Ocean Road. It was a little bit of a nightmare trying to get out of the city, but we finally got on the West Gate Freeway and went over a huuge bridge over the Yarra and headed west. The drive was really, really beautiful, rather reminiscent of the Pacific Coast Highway, except that on the other side of the ocean along this road? Antarctica. ANTARCTICA! Too cool. We had lunch in Lorne and then wound our way along the coast down towards the Gibson Steps and the Twelve Apostles. Hopefully, I'll be putting those pictures up soon on Facebook!

Tomorrow (if I get my ass in gear): recap of my first week of classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment